Process for Reviewing and Endorsing Green-friendly Candidates
The following endorsement process was ratified by the Harris County Green Party (HCGP) Steering Committee on May 21, 2001. This process is intended to facilitate the selection of candidates who will receive an official endorsement and support from the HCGP during their campaign for elected office. The endorsement process is designed to do three things: 1) to ensure that candidates only receive an endorsement if they truly recognize and support issues that are important to the Green Party; 2) to give all party members a say in which candidates the HCGP will support; and 3) to show that an HCGP endorsement of a candidate is more than a sound bite, because it carries with it the support and work of individual party members.
INITIAL INTERNAL SCREEN
STEERING COMMITTEE VOTE ON CANDIDATE APPEARANCE BEFORE GENERAL BODY
APPEARANCE BEFORE GENERAL BODY
HCGP GENERAL BODY VOTES ON CANDIDATE ENDORSEMENT
Questionnaire for Potential Candidate Support
represents Step One in deciding whether the Harris County Green Party
(HCGP) will support and/or endorse a candidate for public office. This
document should be used by the Steering Committee or a recognized HCGP
Candidates Workgroup as the initial screening mechanism for determining
if a candidate is viable for HCGP support.
Position Sought ___________________________ for ________________ term
2. Has this candidate spoken publicly about the Green Party? Yes ___ No ____
2b. If so,
were her/his comments positive toward the Green Party positive or negative?
2c. Briefly comment on this candidate's attitude toward Greens.
3. Did this candidate approach the HCGP for endorsement? Yes ___ No ____
4. Briefly comment on how this person's public life has promoted the Ten Key Values.
5. If this person has held public office, briefly comment on at least two issues s/he has raised or supported that advanced the Ten Key Values.
6. Are there any Ten Key Values that the candidate clearly does not support? If so, comment briefly on which ones and why.
7. Briefly comment on some of the ways in which this candidate could promote Green issues in the office s/he is seeking.
8. Does this
candidate rely on corporate contributions for her/his campaign?
Questionnaire for Harris County Green Party Endorsement
County Green Party (HCGP) designed this questionnaire to facilitate the
selection and endorsement of candidates for public office. The HCGP seeks
out progressive candidates whom we believe have the ability to make a
real difference in the lives of the people whom they represent. Because
we believe strongly in a representative government, we would like to know
more about you and whether your positions are consistent with our values.
The Green Party's Ten Key Values are the following: Social Justice, Community-Based
Economics, Nonviolence, Decentralization of Power, Future Focus and Sustainability,
Feminism, Personal and Global Responsibility, Respect for Diversity, Grassroots
Democracy, and Ecological Wisdom.
2. Do you believe the Green Party can make a useful contribution to American political life? How?
3. Please briefly discuss how your public life has promoted the Ten Key Values.
4. If you have held public office, please comment on at least two issues you have raised or supported that have advanced the Ten Key Values.
5. Please comment on how the office you are now seeking will allow you to advance the Ten Key Values.
6. Are there any Ten Key Values you do not support? If so, comment briefly on which ones and why.
7. How will the office you are now seeking allow you to serve the people you represent?
8. What do you believe are your two main issues?
9. How much money to intend to spend on your campaign? How and from whom do you plan to raise it?
10. How will you make yourself available to the public when you hold office (i.e., how will you listen to the concerns of the people you represent)?
comment on your position on the following issues:
sign me up | donate | contact us | site map | home
Copyright 2003-2010+. Harris County Green Party. All Rights Reserved.